[RC] elyte ? Potassium-Calcium - DreamWeaver

Another question. Two seperate yet equally great electroyltes,
Perfect Balance, and Lyte Now. One is higher in Potassium, the
other is higher in Calcium. What conditions warrant which "type"?

I have used both of these electrolytes and found them both to work fine. I've done a lot of bloodwork (pride project), mostly while using Enduramax electrolytes. The only reason I used the LN or PB elytes is because they came in premade syringes and I used them for 'convenience'. In Rocky's bloodwork, he tended to be more on the lower end of potassium, tho still in 'normal' range. This was compared to say my other horse who was tested w/ the same elytes and same protocol and would be higher (in fact, elyting him and riding him 50 miles in 6 hours gave him higher elyte values than he had before the ride). So to answer the last part of your question, I don't think anybody can answer that question for you. It will depend on the horse, where the horse is in his conditioning program, how the horse cares for itself on the trail, what kind of reserves the horse had going into the ride and all of the other variables -- weather conditions, how you ride, trail difficulty, etc. Even feeding two different horses the same feed will give different resting bloodwork results.

I have been lucky, I have not had a problem from not using electrolytes with a horse, and I have not had a problem from using electrolytes of any brand or type. I'm still not sure I know enough about it to recommend to anybody else what they should or should not do in regards to electrolyting their own horse. We should treat every horse as an individual and not automatically go by what somebody else says to do or what they read (even on ridecamp).

Karen
in NV

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop