Re: [RC] Large Animal Rescue class - Chris Paus

What a cool and useful class! I wish our Sheriff's
dept. would do this. we have lots and lots of horses
hauled through our county.

chris
--- DeborahHuebsch@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Ridecampers,

Just took a two day fabulous class on large animal
rescue.  It seems as
though the Felton, CA fire dept. has been in the
process of developing a course
primarily for fire dept. personnel (and other
similiar agencies) to better
respond to horse (and other large animal) rescue
calls.  The class was fascinating
and very helpful.  I would encourage all who are
involved with trailering and
camping with horses to take the class.  (That about
includes all endurance
riders!)  We learned how to extricate horses from
trailers that were turned over
(they actually turned a trailer over and placed a
1,000 pound manniquin horse
(named "Lucky") inside.  Our job was to get the
horse out and right the
trailer.  They also put Lucky down a steep ravine on
his side and poor guy couldn't
get up.  We had to haul him out (via ropes over tree
limbs).  We learned how to
make harnesses out of fire hose, use of slides to
move horses, etc.  Our very
own Julie Suhr was mentioned as being extremely
supportive of this rescue
effort (even had a slide  of her taken at the
Fireworks ride).  If anyone is
interested in details, let me know.  A team of 4
teachers will come to your area
and give the course.  They like to have at least 20
but there were 12 in our
class including 4 firemen, 1 animal control officer,
1 CHP officer whose "beat"
was the Ortega Hwy where lots of horses are
trailered for recreational riding,
2 county park rangers, 1 horse trainer, 1 DEA
person.   The State Fire Dept.
has gotten involved and they hope lots of people
will learn to help turn some
of these equine disasters into rescue success
stories.

Deborah (S. Calif.)

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown