[RC] Equine Nosebleed - GarnerT

Just my 2 cents...I'm not a vet, but my retired endurance gelding had a
recurrent nose bleed.  It would trickle for a few days, go away for a month
or 2, then recur.  Vet could not figure out the problem.   Horse started
losing weight, lost interest in buddies, had a 1st episode of colic,
huddled in corner, etc.  Back to vet, scoped his nose again - nothing, no
temp, blood work showed nothing significant.  He had decreased lung capacity
on left side, & a heart murmur.  After spending about $1000 that day, we
made the difficult decision to put him down (a horrible experience).  Vet
agreed that something was terribly wrong with the horse & he was suffering.
It has really bothered us that we don't know what the problem was...at the
time we could not afford a necropsy.  It occurred to my husband that it
could possibly have been Valley Fever.  This is a fungus found in the soil
here in the San Joaquin Valley that is very serious.   It affects people,
dogs, & horses.   I don't know where you are located, but it could be
something like that.  I hope for the best.

Kathy Garner

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart