Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 6:00 PM
Subject: [RC] What I have learned- packing for 6 weeks on the road

We are only a week away from heading west from New York to the start of the XP2004 in Nevada.  We are giving ourselves a week to amble across the country while visiting with old friends in Illinois and Colorado before the five week ride.

I am in the process of unloading my trailer, a 10 foot long wall with no LQ, into the big 18 year old LQ (affectionately named "the Mother Ship" ) we are leasing for this trip.  We moved recently and I figured the best place to store stuff was in the trailer, so for months I have been stacking things in anticipation of this trip.  As I saw things on sale, or things I might need, I bought them and tossed them in the trailer.  As I am hoeing out and trying to organize it, this is what I have learned:

1.  I am very forgetful.  Well, I have had alot on my mind, anyway, and found I now have multiples of many things.
2.  I am apparently subconsciously afraid of three things:
        a.  dehydration.  I have cases of water, fruit juice, gator aid, and boost- LOTs of cases- I had to divide them up to put on opposite sides of the trailer so we wouldn't go down the road with a lean!
        b.  the dark.  I have all these cool flashlights and batteries.  I guess I got carried away, or I just couldn't resist a great design.
        c.  caffeine withdrawal.  I have cans of double shot expresso, instant coffee, free trade whole beans, cans of ground coffee and those little bags you use like tea.  I also have a one cup electric pot, a french press, a bean grinder, a stainless stove top pot, and a one cup pour through dealy.  Good grief!!!  The kicker is, the trailer came with a Mr. Coffee on the counter!
3.  BIG cans of baked beans, and german potato salad must have been on sale.  Good for pot lucks, I guess.
4.  Dry socks are important.  I forgot I bought a bunch on sale last fall and tossed them in the trailer.  I just bought more recently....the kind that are short and have the dry wicking stuff on the bottom, if anyone needs some!
5.  During this months long gathering process, I have learned that the male check out employees at Big Lots are amused when I buy 5 or 6 tubes of desitin and several tubes of triple antibiotic, while the female cashiers don't bat an eye.
6.  This part I have not learned.....how do I pay bills while we are on the road??  My regular payments are going in envelopes with post dated checks and a date where the stamp goes, and my mother will religiously mail them on the correct date, but how do I make sure the rest are paid??

I realize there are Walmarts all across the country, and I don't need so much stuff, but the plain truth is that I have been so excited about this trip that I had to do SOMETHING while I was waiting, and so I shopped.  I truly think we have enough stuff to eat to get through the 6 weeks with just buying milk, bread and eggs. If you are near, NV, UT, WY or NE, stop by for some dinner, dry socks, a drink, or a chat.  We will be the ones with the Mothership lit by numerous really cool flashlights.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741