Re: [RC] tail mare? - heidi

Ed,
What is a "tail mare"?  This is interesting as I plan on breeding my
mare in the future!
Nancy Reed

I'm not Ed, but the "tail female" in pedigree parlance is the last female
ancestor to which you can trace the pedigree, if you follow the dam line
down as many generations as you can follow it.  In other words, you would
look at the dam of your horse's dam, and her dam, and her dam, and so on,
back as far as you can go.

In a more conceptual sense, the "tail female" is sort of the "Eve" of the
family.  And with mitochondrial DNA, geneticists have been able to prove
that some mares in rather far-flung programs actually have the same "tail
female" back beyond our pedigrees.  There are several pairings between
Crabbet/Blunt founding mares and Davenport mares, for instance, which
shows that they originally were derived from a common female ancestor at
some point.  (Ambar, jump right in here if you can remember what some of
these pairings are...  I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger right now,
with my mind on other things, and can't seem to pull them out of the
cobwebs...)

Heidi

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair