Re: [RC] Belmont-Smarty Jones - Chris Paus

Yup. I'll bet he's replaying those couple of minutes
over and over in his mind....

I did something similar at my last LD ride. I always
just ride to finish. A couple of times I've top 10d,
but, mostly I just go for completion. On our second
and last loop, my horse was feeling great. I like to
ride by myself and that usually means behind everyone.
But Star really wanted to turn it on going up a hill
(stupid I know) I let him have his head and for a
couple of minutes we had a blast. He was on fire! His
HR was great, he was doing fine. We got quite aways
ahead of the others.

Then we came to a part of the trail that is really
narrow, twisty, windy and hilly. It caught up with us.
His HR stayed good, but i could tell his respiration
was too high. it was hot and humid. I slowed him waaay
down, stopped in every water crossing for drinks and
sponging and just piddled coming back in to camp. The
others that I had breezed by, passed me. Of course,
their horses pulsed down faster than mine, and some of
those I had been ahead of top tenned. If I had taken
our time and not let him fly  when he wanted to, we'd
have been right there with them.

We got our completion, and my horse was fine, but I
kicked myself later. I KNEW better. I am NOT a racer,
but as Angie has said at times, that little devil
sitting on my shoulder told me to go for it....

Back to my usual game plan for rides.....

--- Cowgirgoof@xxxxxxx wrote:
Stewart Elliot (Smarty's jockey) should have ridden
Samrty like a 100 miler- I knew at the half-way
point he was going to blow him out. In each race he
won before, he's ridden him at a nice easy second
until the top of the stretch. This time he let
Smarty pull out front and I knew then he had it
blown.
He assumed he had more horse than he really did.
Should have paced him...Let that be a lesson to our
endurance horses.

Becky

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause
each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.
 It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus