[RC] Appy's - victoria thompson

Color me ignorant, but what is so special about the appaloosa breed that it warrants all this DNA research as opposed to all the European spotted breeds?

Don't know if I worded that question exactly the way I wanted for people to understand the answer I'm looking for, so I'll try a different approach. There are numerous breeds other than the appaloosa that are spotted in that manner - the noriker of Austria, the altai and the Knabstruper of Denmark. I believe there is also a spotted breed from China. It is believed that all the European spotted breeds descend from the Spanish horses - which were heavily spotted 2000 years ago, but not all spotted breeds come from Spain. The steppe horsemen, (Russian) 'barbarians', had spotted horses 4000 years ago. So, why all the interest in appaloosa DNA? There were spotted horses everywhere. When people started coming to the New World they brought their horses with them. Since the vast majority of the horses were from Spain and Spain was big into spotted horses, doesn't it make since that appaloosas got their spots from Spanish horses? Why not spend those dollars trying to figure out if the Chinese spotted horses are related in some way to the Spanish horses perhaps via the Russian spotted horses?

That being said, I'm off to Chicago for a week and won't be taking my computer with me, so poke fun at my ignorance without immediate response.

Tori

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards