Re: [RC] Appy's - heidi

Color me ignorant, but what is so special about the appaloosa breed
that it warrants all this DNA research as opposed to all the European
spotted breeds?

Actually, it isn't only Appaloosas whose genetics are looked into.  One of
the late Ann Bowling's several big contributions to the field of equine
genetics involved major research on Przewalski horses.  There are gene
tests developed for genetic diseases in several breeds.  The Appaloosa
just happened to be the subject of this thread, but research is going by
leaps and bounds in many aspects of equine genetics, involving many
breeds.

Heidi

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano