From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim & Drin Becker
Sent:
Thursday, June 03, 2004 6:24 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Helmets

"   This sort of thing is why it is ALWAYS a good idea to wear a =
helmet!!!  "

As some of you know I am not a big fan of helmets , I have been riding since I could walk , horse shows , rodeo and than endurance . I have been doing endurance since 1982 and have never ever once made it through a ride wearing my helmet the entire time , mostly because of the heat . Well last year at an Idaho ride a gal was seriously injured when she went off her horse , had severe head injuries and went into a coma  where they had to life flight her out to a hospital , at the same ride my horse spooked at the photographer and went to her knees almost somersaulting with me So that got me to thinking more seriously about wearing my helmet .At convention last winter a friend and I each bought the new style LAS helmets from Steve Elliot at Equine Performance Products . I had told a couple of my riding buddies about it and that I was going to give it a try this riding season , so when we saddled up for a training ride the first time this spring together Heidi and Louie both looked at me and said " we are not leaving until you put your helmet on :-) I went back to my trailer put the helmet on and rode the entire time with it which in itself is a miracle ! Since then I did a 50 miler in WY and again wore the helmet the entire time , this helmet is cooler than my baseball cap even when I soak the cap . It really did sell me on wearing my helmet , now I know the safety reasons but that just does not help when you can't stand the heat build up on your head . So if anyone is looking for a cooler helmet please check this one out , it does do what it says

                                                       Drin Becker

                                                       Mtn Region