Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] appys - heidi

I agree with you wholeheartedly that mixing appy & grey is an odd  thing
to do (and I LOVE greys), but I've always wondered why this
aversion to how grey changes the visibility of the markings is
viewed so differently than how the progressive appy roan changes
whether the markings are visible or not?  Is it because appy roan
is an appy-only trait, whereas grey is not? Just curious.

I suspect it is because the "Appy roan" trait does not take away the
markings altogether, whereas the grey does.  (So while the Appy registry
does not disallow grey, they do strongly advise against using grey parents
when crossing out to other breeds.)

My dad had a mare of foundation Appy breeding that he bred to my original
Arabian stallion Surrabu many years ago.  The result was a half-Arab
Appaloosa that he rode endurance for several years.  It was really
interesting to watch "Jon-Boy's" color changes over the years--he had the
roaning trait and went from a dark chocolate bay who shed out as a
yearling with snowflakes and wild darker spots over his rump to a nearly
white horse when he died at 30.  But he still had spots in the white even
as a very old horse, whereas the greys lose them.

Heidi

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown