Re: [RC] Riding with a cast - Lysane Cree

"I've recently broken one ankle and both feet and my first question was,
when can I ride my horse?  Doctors just don't understand..."

Doctors are also clueless in giving permission to ride I found out!  When I broke the end of my arm bone last year, my arm was in a cast for only four weeks, then in a brace for another 2 weeks. I had trouble lifting anything slightly heavy with the cast and even after with the brace, I could not bend my wrist or lift anything without shooting pain and I required another 6 weeks of physio before being back to normal. At the last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon (when I got the brace), he said that the bone was still very fragile and that I should be careful not to stress my arm or bump it. I asked when I could expect to ride again and he said to go ahead and ride! Obviously he doesn't know some horses...maybe he thought I was riding an old pony LOL.

Lysane