Re: [RC] [RC] Elytes for Dehydration - Humans Vs Horses - heidi

Emergen-C also has a fair bit of sugar in it, which would account for
some of its effect.  I use the sugarless flavors regularly.

And just to point out that not everyone is alike, I too thought Emergen-C
would be a good idea, although I've never been able to tolerate any sort
of sports drinks (even diluted) or salty foods when I ride.  I tried it,
and durn near got sick.  (Although I can drink it when I'm not doing
intensive exercise--such as first thing in the morning.)

Like horses that eat and eat and eat, I'm one that has no problem eating
at rides--and I find that if I make sure to eat and if I drink lots and
lots of milk, I'm just fine.  I stick with straight water on the trail, I
carry 40 oz per loop and I try to drink 20-40 oz of milk at every vet
check, in addition to eating something substantial.  I also carry granola
bars on the saddle, and I suck on hard candies so that the straight water
doesn't dry my mouth out.  If I keep up that regimen, I feel good, and I
am sufficiently hydrated that I generally have to pee at the vet checks.
I know that this regimen wouldn't work for a lot of people, but it was the
fact that e-lytes make ME sick that made me more cognizant of the fact
that they likewise seem to diminish the food intake of my really hoggy
horses that were having no problems without e-lytes--which (along with
observing tremendous differences between horses when I vetted rides)
helped me to recognize that you have to do what is right for YOU and what
is right for YOUR horse, instead of simply doing something because
"somebody experienced said so."  FOOD is still the #1 source of e-lytes
(for you OR your horse), and anything you do that diminishes food intake
should be looked at very critically to see if the benefits outweigh the
drawbacks.

Heidi

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle