Re: [RC] Borium - sliding and increasing shoe wear. - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...LBL he wore a new pair of St. Croix eventers out in 50 miles..."

Ranger also slides his shoes.  A few years ago when he was wearing out eventers in less than 6 weeks in WI, where the trails are no where as abrasive as the mountains, I did some experiments.  I found that I could electroweld hard surfacing alloy onto the eventers before the farrier did the final shaping.  I fill the groove at the toe, and put a bead on each side of the rest and cover the heals.

This has worked great.  I don't get any resets if he is in training, but they last.  The only down side is that on rock they are a bit more slippery than regular shoes.  In my opinion, this is a better way to increase shoe life than borium.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875