Re: [RC] Borium or studs at Tevis - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 6/1/2004 10:20:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Aside from Cougar Rock what other rocks are there that really would really
justify additional concern?  I never liked Cougar Rock and would just let
my horse determine the speed to tackle it, getting off the reins and
getting out of the saddle and my center of gravity a bit forward.

There is a relatively new section that has been made at Squaw Valley, in that section there is a small slab of granite that is/was (I think that's been fixed) verrrry slippery.  Harca fell on that in 2001 and cut his leg, I tore a hamstring, bruised some ribs and kidneys.  Not a fun way to end the ride!  I know that Kim Christlieb's horse fell there too (before the bigger wreck on Elephant's Trunk).

I have gone around Cougar Rock since that has been an option ..... why add any risk to an already risky adventure?

I would be hesitant to add borium mainly because my farrier talked me out of it when I wanted to try it (after the bad fall) and his reasoning was similar to what other people have posted.   I have to say those Ground Control shoes look interesting and if they work for your horse they might be worth a shot, but I would think its too late to get your horse used to them this close to the ride (?).  I really like the idea of some extra shock absorption and might try those in the future.

Sylvia & Wy (Who thinks maybe he should have tried harder as a dressage horse <g>)