Re: [RC] Borium or studs at Tevis - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Please take this post with a grain of salt.  I freely admit that I have
never done Tevis, but I do have some experience with Borium.

First, there are a number of different grades of borium.  Many farriers only
have the coarsest grade, because that is what their hunter type clients
want, need and use.  If you want extra traction on rocks, you only have to
use the finest grade.  The pieces of carbide in this grade is very fine-
like about 100 grit sand paper.  Then have small spots put on the toe and
heels.  I have found this will give a horse enough traction to lope on a
concrete road. (Please, I only did this when I had to while directing
traffic on a wagon train)

Second, borium ,by increasing the traction will change timing of the foot
falls.  Ranger goes fine with borium on ice and snow, but the same shoes
will interfere if left on after the snow melts.

Third, on solid granite easy boots work great.  Elastomers give real good
traction on granite and concrete. (I later changed to plastic shoes for
traffic work.)

Fourth, when I did the Big Horn 50 I found that the granite on the top was
less slippery than the Dolomite on the bottom of the mountain.  Ranger, due
to some conformation problems, must be shod with very hard shoes, they are
much more slippery than ordinary steel shoes.

Ed

PS This is my experience, your experience may be different; therefore, if
you want extra traction for Tevis, shoe that way at least one shoe cycle
before the ride so you can find out how your horse reacts.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes