Re: [RC] Borium or studs at Tevis - Lif Strand

At 10:27 AM 6/1/2004, Jim Mitchell wrote:
It would be interesting to poll everybody who has done the ride and see what they think. I am sure there are people that don't think the rocks are slippery, but my horses seem to find the slippery ones.

Aside from Cougar Rock what other rocks are there that really would really justify additional concern? I never liked Cougar Rock and would just let my horse determine the speed to tackle it, getting off the reins and getting out of the saddle and my center of gravity a bit forward. I also confess that I would shut my eyes sometimes.

Over the years all those steel shoes on granite has worn the rock. There was no alternate route then, but there is now. I won't go over the rock again - no photo opportunity is worth going over Cougar Rock if going around is an option. It's about safety, as opposed to glory, and the fact is that every extra bit of unnecessary energy expended on that rock is a bit of energy you may really wish you had 75 miles down the trail. I've got more Cougar Rock photos than Tevis buckles, and believe me, if going around the rock would have reversed those numbers, I'd never have gone over the rock.

Other trail sections have loose rock, lots of loose dirt, but no place that I would think that extra traction would help. I've always worried about slipping on river rocks, but that's never happened.