Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 9:27 AM
Subject: [RC] Borium or studs at Tevis

 I believe the slippery rocks in a very few locations to require some thought to be given to rubber protection (easyboots, plastic shoes etc) or borium.  I personally don't want to ride that ride without that added security. My family and I have tried the trail 8 times, easyboots in front all the times but 4 times without borium on in the rear and 4 times with borium on the rear. The 4 horse/tries without borium have resulted in one fall and two bad slips where their rear feet came up and meet their front feet.  That is all the evidence I need. I believe Harca and Slyvia fell on a rock and hurt Sylvia? I think Tammy fell on the same rock Lance fell on in 2003 and Tammy was out of the ride. It would be interesting to poll everybody who has done the ride and see what they think. I am sure there are people that don't think the rocks are slippery, but my horses seem to find the slippery ones. I think speed has something to do with it. I have felt that going quickly across those slippery sections can be safer as the inertia helps keep the horse up and the next step gets traction. But we tend to creep and that is worse.

  Jim