[RC] Borium - sliding and increasing shoe wear. - Truman Prevatt

I've been thinking about borium for the Shamrock. Not for slipping but to prevent my horse from wearing his back shoes off too fast. At LBL he wore a new pair of St. Croix eventers out in 50 miles. The shoes were worn down so thin that there was no crease left and the nail heads were so think I was lucky to keep them both on the entire ride. This was in 50 miles! Granted the wet roads were nice and soft and very abrasive - and he just slides the steel off. Not a good canidate for barefoot, eh ;-). Since he shapes the hind shoes in the forge - they are case hardened so they are about as hard as they are going to get.

The Shamrock is quite abrasive in places and last time we were there I was lucky to get through the second day. I could have shaved with the toe of the hind shoes. My farrier has suggested using a thin coating of fine borium powder to coat the shoe to retard the wearing process. The borium will have to be worn off first so the shoes might last.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Truman

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."