Re: [RC] top 5 endurance horses--some pedigree trivia - heidi

One of the best horses we have had over the years was a half Arab Appy.
The  Arab part was Rayseyn (sire was Sur-Ra-Neet) and the Appy part was
a mare  (NATRC National Champion) who was a Malibu Chief grandaughter.
Malibu Chief was by  American Eagle who was an old foundation horse
directly down from the early  cross with a Kellog Arabian I think.

American Eagle would have been a descendant of Red Eagle--Claude
Thompson's stallion by the Kellogg Arabian stallion Ferras.  (Ferras was
also straight Crabbet, being by *Ferdin and out of *Rasima.)

Old Ferras shows up in some pretty good horses, both Arabs and Appys.
Marjorie Van Gilder and her mother Sadie Rich had some of that old
breeding in their mare herd, which in turn was crossed back to their Abu
Farwa son Muhuli.  One such cross was the Ferras granddaughter Ferlina,
who produced the grand old mare Muferra by Muhuli (as well as her full
sister Mulinda, one of the good broodmares for Michael Bowling at the New
Albion Stud)--for those of you who don't already know who Muferra was, she
produced AERC Hall-of-Famer RT Muffin, as well as the stallion Aurlani
Farwa, the latter going on to sire such horses as Tevis winner BRR Aurber
Lights, the partbred pinto MC Starbrite, etc.  Muferra was also the dam of
the very successful race horse Amal Salute.  I feel very fortunate to have
some of that good old breeding in our own program--we have Muferra's last
daughter SH Miss Muffet (by our stallion Abu Ben Surrabu) and two of her
daughters, the Aurlani Farwa son Aur Bold Tribute (who also did well in
endurance despite a very late start at it), and we have Mulinda's daughter
Lafter on lease from New Albion.  Marjorie still has a bunch of horses
bred this way, and she is still producing horses that are doing a terrific
job both on the track and on the endurance trails.

It's a small world sometimes--I went to check out a gelding for sale a few
years ago, and it turned out that his sire Jezlito was a Van Gilder horse
out of Ferlina's dam, the Ferras daughter Ferlita.  To make a long story
short, he is now winning 4-H western riding classes with my great-niece
aboard...  He's also a top-notch cow horse.  (I'd've sure loved to have
gotten him on the endurance circuit as well--what an athletic fellow!)

On the Appy side, I've sure seen a fair number of old Red Eagle's
descendants out there churning out the miles, too.  Funny how many
directions one stallion's influence can go.

Heidi

I can tell you after sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back
of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ
one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're
just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :)
~  Tina Hicks