Re: [RC] top 5 endurance horses - Merry Wicklund

That is heartbreaking.  The Doc Bar horses were a personal favorite of mine when I was barrel racing and team roping.

 Bill has had Appaloosas that he campaigned for the owners going for an ApHC Medallion award that have come straight out of halter classes.  We got one mare that was going for her medallion.  When we got her, all 4 feet were at different angles, there was not enough hoof wall on her right front to nail a shoe on, and her foot was a OO.   Plussss she had a death wish.  She would kick the panels of her pen.  On the way to a ride she kicked the trailer so hard she kicked a hind shoe off.   Then, on the way home, she kicked the other shoe off.  Out of the many Appaloosas that Bill has campaigned there was one stallion that he never could keep sound enough to finish a ride.  Very disappointing, not to mention costly to the owner.  Fortunatly, the majority of the 24 Appaloosas that Bill got their Medallion had a good deal of foundation breeding.

 I can't blame the breeders 100%......the breeders breed what the judges (show ring) like.  That's why you won't see us there.  :)

I wish you the very best with Sierra!

Merry

Nancy Reed <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Merry and Ridecamp,

My Quarter Horse mare, Sierra is a Doc Bar granddaughter.  She is an incredible, smart, beautiful horse.  I wish I got her when she was younger.  Her only problem is her feet.  She has very small hooves for her 15.2 hand big QH body.  She has had numerous quarter cracks.  It?s just a crying shame the breeders didn?t understand the damage they did to the breed.  Unfortunately due to the newest quarter crack I may have to look for another horse.  I just want to cry about it.  L

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California ( boy is it hot today!!)

From: Merry Wicklund <palouselady@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [RC]   Top five endurance horses-appys

Heidi..........................That is soooooooo true.

Not every horse is bred for the purposes of distance riding.  Not every person is into distance riding.  I guess it would be a very boring world if everyone liked the same things.  Glad to hear that there are Arabian breeders (in another life I showed a half-arab/quarter horse in Arabian shows. When the purebreds started resembling Saddlebreds, I decided I did not want to go that direction.)  Same with the Quarter Horse.  I am a die-hard Poco Bueno person.  There is a Foundation Quarter Horse Registry with about 2,000 horses registered.

Merry

Be Happy, ride an Appy
www.hurricaneranch.net