[RC] Youngster's First Camping Trip - RDCARRIE

My husband and I just got back from a central Texas ride, to which I took my coming-4 yr old CMK gelding for his first camping trip.  I think he's gonna be a good one!  The boy never stopped eating and drinking - I think he gained 75 lbs over the weekend.  <G>  This was his 3rd trailer ride ever.  He was nervous, but ate two huge flakes of hay during the 6 hour drive.  :)  His first trailer ride had been from Idaho to So. Calif. as a wild, unhandled 2 yr old...2nd ride was from So. Calif. to Texas last August when I bought him.  I gave him 3 or 4 lessons in loading a week or so ago, he hopped in on Friday, and off we went.  Got to camp, set up the pens, and he settled in and started eating.  No running around, whinnying, or carrying on.  I walked him down to the vet in area when nothing was happening a couple of times during the weekend, just to let him gawk, and start learning that polite horses don't whinney at other horses they see.  He was twitchy at all the "stuff," but very bold...something might startle him, but then he'd drag me over to check it out.  Oh, and did I mention that he never stopped eating and drinking?  LOL  He looked like a hairy blimp after 3 days.  The funniest thing was this morning before we came home.  He laid down next to his hay pile, and started eating lying down.  Then he decided to stretch out and bask in the sun...he got a big mouthful of hay, stretched out on his side, and lay there chewing.  Finished the hay, sat up and got another mouthful, and flattened back out again.  He did this for about 10 minutes.  I was laughing myself silly.

Can't wait to see what he's like under saddle...he'll be 4 in Sept. and goes to the trainer then.  :)

Dawn in East Texas and
Epic Sundance (wow, camping is fun...constant food!!)