Re: [RC] Nutrition/Feeding - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I have fed that much corn oil to keep weight on endurance horses.  Mine
ended up leaving oil slicks on the stock tank.  The clue I found was to
increase the amount of oil in the feed slowly, taking months to reach that
level.

When I started feeding oil I was using a commercial sweet feed.  Because the
grain is covered with molasses, it does not absorb oil very much at all.  I
also found that mixing the oil at least 12 hours ahead using a cement mixer
(hand or power) allowed it to absorb the oil and be much less oily.

Yes, I am aware that oil will get rancid if mixed to far ahead.  The
question is how far ahead is to far?  I have not noticed problems with 24
hours in the summer, and a week at zero F. in WI.

Beet pulp as a carrier of oil works much better than grain.  It absorbs the
oil as it absorbs the water.
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris