Re: [RC] Top five endurance horses-Arab/walker - Elkenchild

In my gaited horse shopping, I noticed that there are A LOT of walkers out there with bad confirmation. I think it's a tricky thing to breed the right angles for the running walk, and can put a lot of stress on certain joints (especially when big lick gets involved). It also may be an "out west" phenomenon, where rejects from the southern show circuit are often sent. There are some excellent breeders out here, though! So, if you've got a well-built walker, hold on to her, and certainly breed her!
I think you need to be careful with the conformation in the walking horse. The big bulky type just have problems getting rid of heat where as my mare did fine - would drop with the Arabs.

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)