Re: [RC] Top five endurance horses-appys - Merry Wicklund

Hi Laura,

Bear in mind that NOT ALL Appaloosas have these qualities.  The ApHC has allowed so much outcrossing to the Quarter Horse that most of the original traits have been diluted.  We qualify Appaloosas for their ApHC Medallion in Distance Riding.  The modern appaloosa generally does not have the size foot (too small!) , or leg bone necessary to carry the weight of the horse. We breed Foundation Appaloosas, strictly Appaloosa to Appaloosa breeding.   We are currently competing our 17 year old Foundation Stallion, Pratts Toby IV, in CTR.  In 6 rides he has NEVER lost a point on p&r's.  Bill has qualified 24 Appaloosas for their medallions in Distance Riding.  At the LBL Endurance ride he received the ApHC Presidents Achievement award for this.

We love distance riding and our Foundation Appaloosas. We also admire ANY breed excelling in distance riding.

Merry and Bill Wicklund

Elkenchild@xxxxxxx wrote:
Oh, that's neat that morgans compete well. I love morgans! Appaloosas were born and bred in the paloose, which is an arid shrub steppe, with very little rain precipitation. They run hot and long, much like arabs! Often too smart for their owners, heh heh.

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)

Be Happy, ride an Appy
www.hurricaneranch.net