[RC] 5 most common breeds/mixes - what's important - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Kornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here on the East Coast a fair number of riders compete
Anglo Arabs (Arab/Thoroughbred cross). Saddlebred/Arab
crosses and Quarter Horse/Arab crosses are also popular.
These crosses tend to have a little more size than a full
Arab and are popular with larger riders.

A few people I know done quite well with a full QH or TB
that they have carefully conditioned. And mule crosses are
also seen, especially in the more mountainous areas.

Among LD riders, you'll see more gaited horses like
Tennessee Walkers and Paso Finos.

By far Arabians dominate the sport. Of the various
"strains," most seem to have Polish and Crabbet rather
than Egyptian bloodlines. There's also some with more
exotic bloodlines like Russian and Shagya.

Bottom line: conformation, especially lower front legs,
is more important than breed.

Given long hours in the saddle, a comfortable trot is also
crucial. Training and experience can help settle horses somewhat, but I prefer
a horse who's basic temperament
and disposition make it a pleasure to handle.

I have to work a little harder to cool off my QH/Arab
cross on a hot, humid day, but he's sensible, has a comfy flat trot, is easy to
rate (I can ride in a snaffle), and decently behaved in vet checks. Best of
all, he loves to travel and
really seems to enjoy being at the ride. No one breed has
pre-empted that all-important trait!

There is something so magical about being out at night after being on the
trail all day on a long 100 with miles left to go.
~  Tom Noll