Re: [RC] Horses - drinking - heidi

I've found that since my horse has gained some weight, he doesn't seem
to drink as early as he used to.  When I saw him from a distance last
year at Bridgeport, I was shocked at how thin he appeared.  I've been
working for a year to put weight on him, & he's looking good.  However,
he used to drink right away.  I'm wondering if a little fat reserve
helps him with hydration. What do you guys think?  He has done 2
multiday rides now, and although we rode slowly, he finished very
strong.  He didn't appear to have lost a lot of weight, was sound, and
seemed to have a lot of energy left.  The vets never said anything
negative about his hydration.

Yes, absolutely.  A layer of subcu body fat holds a bit of a fluid reserve
in and of itself.

Heidi

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair