Re: [RC] sodium bicarbonate for endurance horses - heidi

I just purchased some Equi-ade from and ad in EN. Now someone tells me
that sodium bicarb is in it and it's not good for endurance horses.

That's right.  Endurance rides are tending toward both metabolic and
respiratory alkalosis already, and bicarb makes them more alkalotic.

Did I just buy something I shouldn't be using on my horse? I figured if
it was in EN it's an approved item. Maybe that's a bad assumption?

Yes, that's a bad assumption.  Kinda like finding cigarette ads in one of
your favorite mags...  :-(

One can't expect the office staff that takes in ads to help pay the bills
for EN to judge the value of every product that is advertised.

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm