Re: [RC] scratches - Cora

Deno is also very white with pink skin...has never had scratches...Chihouli, on the other hand, ia a dark grey with 4 white socks...got a severe case of it last year on all 4 legs..both eat no clover or alfalfa...had pasture grass last year, and too much rain and mud, other than that, with real careful management, you should be able to keep them from getting it...Cora
----- Original Message -----
From: Karen
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 2:12 PM
Subject: [RC] scratches

So leads
to the question: why the heck are breeders still breeding for this
darn
"chrome?"

....I'm curious as to whether it is the chrome (white) hair, or the pigment of the skin underneath?

Since I like doing multidays so much I would not choose a horse that had a lot of 'chrome' as you call it, because all too often those horses are the ones that get scratches the worst during multidays.  I've even seen a lot of those horses develop scratches in just one day.

On the other hand, I think that scratches is mostly a management issue.  I have one horse out of three that has two white legs (even tho he is now white all over) that have pink pigment underneath and he no longer gets scratches.  I find that it is easy to avoid them by simply not feeding alfalfa or clover.  Pretty simple, really.  My other grey horse (who will probably turn white someday too) has dark skin underneath.  So maybe it isn't the hair coat color, but the skin underneath that is really the problem?

Karen
in NV