[RC] 100 Miles - goearth

Before offering the biggest tip to aspiring 100 milers, maybe i should rehash those times i tried and failed and learned something from all but one, and the AERC database has so graciously left off my record, and you can take it with a grain of salt and pepper.  Somewhere in Ohio with  BayMar and we were trotting into the finish with a small group and it was like he blew a tire and went lame.  I learned nothing from that experience other than s+++ sometimes happens.  Somewhere in Michigan riding Ballistic we finished second and he started thumping and after an hour still thumped.  More electrolytes, and it would have helped to have had a crew to hash over what to do during the hour, as my brain was fried more than normal.  The Vermont 100, with BayMar and we were riding the rolling hills and it was hot and we went too fast and being the driver, it was my fault.  The OD with Ballistic and it was in my back yard and going up the Duncan Hollow he started to weave and wobble and i thought he was going to fall down and thought.."You ain't gonna die in my backyard" so we head back walking and he comes around and starts acting like his usual self...running circles around me etc... So i hop back on and head down the trail and after a couple of minutes it happens again and this time i head back for good and he comes back to his usual demeanor and we head into the Vet Check coming from the wrong way into Camp Roosevelt.  There is Matthew and he asks whats wrong??? "the horse looks fine."   I tell him about these 2 Atypical Metabolic Episodes and at about that time he implodes again and was treated.  Was it electrolytes hitting raw ulcerated stomach tissue??  I never found out.   BayMar at the Carolina 100 and its 80 miles and its dark and there is a long loop and he passes the Vets, but he just didn't seem right and i didn't want to be out in the boonies in the dark and have a problem and he never knew we didn't finish , so i didn't tell him.  Oh, the worst was in Arizona at the PAC.  A complete Metabolic Breakdown with Ballistic and fluids... he was a raging lunatic and even broke his martingale, and i got tired of fighting him and  rode him for a loop and he came into the Vet Check frothy fine.  But at about 50 miles he had diminished gut sounds and we stayed and let him eat and recover?  At 80 miles he broke.  This horse i found out was not meant for Endurance, and it took a long time to find that one out.  But he was the only horse i've ever owned that never tumbled with me some time.   So if you're still here and want to hear my viewpoint for doing a 100.  NEVER go out on trail with a hungry horse.  If he's still eating, stay.  Forget the timed holds....  Let the horse eat...tom sites