Re: [RC] Fw: Horses drinking - Truman Prevatt

Drin,

I think one of the big differences is back in the southeast we normally have a lot of water available. I happen to train in an area with not a lot of water but the sand hills are an anomaly rather than the norm - but here I can arrange my trip so I can get to water every five miles - especially in the rainy season.

I don't want my horse to get into the mode - ho hum more water, there will be plenty more so I don't need to worry, because when I go out west there will not always be frequent water available. I want water to become very important to him. The other benefit is if they drink small amounts much more often there is not big swings in hydration status and associated fluid shifts in and out of the gut associated with dirinking large amounts infrequently. It is important to humans in prolonged exercise to drink early and drink smaller amounts more often and I suspect it is just as important to horses.

Truman

Jim & Drin Becker wrote:

Truman wrote
" Again if they drink they get rewarded. This type of work usually doesn't take that long till they learn that drinking is as much a part of the regiment as going down the trail and every time they see water - they should at least take a few sips.  "

That is why my method works for me also , my horses learn that they better take a drink when water is offered or they will get thirsty . I start my colts out this way riding them in the mountains and by the time I take them to a ride there is no hesitation  about drinking whenever water is offered . Their reward is quenching their thirst . No way does this teach them that drinking is not important , far from that . This has been a training method that has worked well for me as I am sure yours has worked well for you .
                                   Drin Becker
                                   Mtn Region