From: "DreamWeaver" <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:53 PM
Subject: [RC] Re; Drinking Water

At 07:11 PM 5/25/2004, you wrote:
First I normally ride alone and when we

Why won't anyone ride with you Truman? (just teasing)

I think everybody just has to figure out what works for their individual
horse in each situation. All of my horses drink differently. I have got
one
that will go up to a trough and hesitate, as if he's collecting his
thoughts, before sticking his face in and drinking like a giant vacuum. I
know that if I try to get him to continue on before he gets a drink, he
won't budge. We drink on his schedule. Another one, won't drink until he's
peed once or twice, and usually pees an average of 7 times on 50. I think
he just has to make room. (his mom was a sponge, I always tell people)
:+P  We all just need to learn the routine that works best for each horse.
Sometimes roaming a few feet away and letting them graze or hand feeding
them snacks first does the trick. I remember often having discussions with
my juniors over getting their horses out of the way of the troughs when
their horses were done drinking. I would hear "but he isn't done drinking
yet". Well then, I'd say -- he needs to put his face in the
water....otherwise get out of the way! You can come back, but stop
blocking
it for other people.

If you've got a horse that you've been doing a lot of multidays on and
they
are used to having say for example 1 or 2 waters before lunch, 1 at lunch,
and 1or 2 after lunch....then when I go to a ride that happens to have
about 8 or 10 water stops I am not going to get too freaked out if he
drinks really well at 5 or 6 of those stops but isn't interested in
sipping
out of every single one. Tho, Chief does seem to be pretty adamant about
drinking from every single water stop. I think that is what got thru his
head by taking him to a multiday that had the first vet check (and only
2nd
water that day since one of the troughs had been emptied by cattle) more
than 30 miles into it for his first ride. A lesson he's never forgotten.
It
is sort of funny, I honestly can't think of a single water stop on any
ride
that Chief has ever done, that he did not drink. Now that is one heck of a
benefit received for not taking him on any shorter distance rides!

Karen
in NV

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart