Re: [RC] List update - Lif Strand

At 09:31 PM 5/24/2004, firedancefarms wrote:
The thing about 100s that seem different to me is the memories. I can remember the 100s so much better than I can remember the 50s. Any one else like that?

Absolutely. So much more effort goes into riding/crewing a 100 that those memories stand out. Plus, I think the experiences you have after dark are really memorable.

I remember what might have been my first 100 mile attempt, or else it was after I did Tevis in 1981 on a ride called NorthShore - at least I think that was the ride? Was that the name? A Susan Gibson 100 mile ride, I believe on the military base down by Lake San Antonio in CA. I was so dumb. I had no clue at all and didn't know hardly any endurance riders (later I would get to know them well!). I was soooo unprepared, I had my husband Paul for crew and he had no clue either. Amiong other things, I went out there without a flashlight. I had a horse that I hadn't owned all that long. She was going really strong, but I added on extra miles through my stupidity ....

I was following glow lights after dark and couldn't find any, and I was riding alone. I was plodding along and then saw a light waaaaay up on top of a hill. I got off the trail somehow but was going for that light. My plan, such as it was, was to reach the light and then somehow the trail would become obvious.

Well, it was military base, and they use helicopters there, and when I got to the top of the hill after what seemed like hours, all I found was a rlight for aircraft and a pad for helicopters to land. Sigh. But there was good news and it was twofold: The hill was only a few hundred feet high and a few hundred feet off the trail, and also I could see some riders down below (with flashlights). So we scrambled back down the hill and followed those riders.

My mare was really strong. She decided to move out, and we did, but then she hit a gopher hole in the road and we did a somersault. Amazingly enough she wasn't killed and neither was I, and no broken leg, but she was dead lame. I walked her into the 90 mile vet check and that was that.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA

There is something so magical about being out at night after being on the
trail all day on a long 100 with miles left to go. ~ Tom Noll