Re: [RC] oldest 100 mile horse? - heidi

I pondered the  100
 mile horses and riders , eyeing my 3 for potential.One with the will,
one  with the comformation, one with the temperment. . .
   To help us along with our 100 miler goal some day, somehow--- "we'd"
like to know if anyone knows what was the "oldest'" age that a horse did
 it's first 100 miler?And we can add the oldest  at their last 100
miler? (as  time ticks away, 49,12,9,3)

I can't give you a firm answer, but CAN tell you that my mare Sansih did
her first 100 at either age 17 or age 19.  In fact, she did four 100s at
age 19, as well as a 90, an 80, a 75, two 60s, and a potload of 50s.  And
she was only out of the Top Ten once that year, in 17 rides.  She wasn't
started under saddle until she was 13--and she did one 40-mile CTR that
year and placed well.  The following year she did 255 AERC miles (age 14).
Then I threw her back out in the brood band.  At 17, she came back out of
the broodband and did 595 miles with a junior rider.  I can't remember if
there was a 100 in that series or not, and the records don't show that
early on the database, as that was in 1983.  In 1984, she had another foal
(yes, she was pregnant during the 595 miles, as she was during the 255
miles when she was 14), but I realized she was very close to her 1000
miles, so I rode her on two 80s that fall after we weaned the baby.  She
was bred back the following year, at age 19, when she ran the above list
of rides, including the four 100s--total of 1165 miles that year.  She
foaled at 20, and went on one more 50 that fall after weaning her baby.

I have vetted 100-mile horses over age 20.

Heidi

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle