[RC] re: Laura's great idea (and characteristics) - Cindy Collins

I really love the Big Horn and have seriously thought about leaving the XP
and going up to do it....I haven't said it out loud to anyone yet, least
they strike me in the forehead with the palm of their hand.......!!!!  ;-)

Laura Hayes AERC#2741

What a great idea, Laura!  Now that the dates are changed and the weekend
of the 17th is open, we could drag a whole gang of XPers over to the
BH????  Is that twisted or what!?  You are my kind of people.  For those
who did the Tevis in 2001 right after you finished the XP, what do you
think?

On characteristics of a 100 mile horse, probably the one that comes to
mind for me is a horse that is easy to rate in the first 25 miles and a
horse that takes care of him/herself...likes to drink, eat, rest, etc.  Of
course there are many exceptions out there I am sure.  I only had one
horse that just was not a 100 mile horse.  He only finished one 100 miler
in his almost 2,000 miles and was third (Twenty Mule Team 100), but he
just didn't rate well and burned himself out  too early in the rides.  He
was a great 50 miler, but not enough bottom for the longer distance.  I
loved him totally, and if I had known everything I know now I would have
put a solid dressage foundation on him and possibly could have changed his
career and longevity.  I made all of my early learning mistakes on him.
He had the biggest heart in the world, though, and I often go talk to him
at his grave in our back yard.   Cindy

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano