[RC] 100 mile experience / advice - rides2far

Remember, some of the best coaches in sports never excelled
in their sport but did have extremely good analytical minds

I had read everything available about endurance, pacing, getting through
a 100 and thought I was well informed. Thank goodness Lynda Corry took
the trouble of coming from Texas to guide me through my first 100 in
Mississippi. There were a million things that weren't "important" enough
to make the articles that were the difference between finishing and not
finishing. Dave Bennett was on Ben Amil that day and he and I had trained
together, had about the same amount of horse and had studied all the same
articles. He didn't have an experience mentor and didn't realize just how
much he needed to hurry to get to a certain point on the trail before
dark. I finished and he had to pull at 80 miles because he couldn't find
the trail. The difference that day had nothing to do with ability, or the
horse, it had to do with advice from an experienced 100 miler getting me
through it.

I don't think Susan's saying nobody else has anything to add that's
relevant, but think about it. Picture the sort of person who's never done
a 100 who wants to tell anyone they can corner "the right way". My
experience is the more we know the more we realize we don't know. Chances
are that person hasn't gotten to the point of realizing how little they
know...so I'd avoid them. I've noticed most experienced 100 milers don't
say, "You have to do this" instead they say, "this worked for me".
There's a difference. They're trying to help you but admitting there may
be better ways and they know they don't know everything.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland