Re: [RC] Prizes - heidi

a) The number of people competiting in the category of an award,
b) The budget to support an award.

I would add a third, and I think this one is WAY important--that is the
degree of difficulty of the accomplishment being awarded.

If 10,000 first graders are vying for an arithmetic award, there is no
need to award half of them, while ignoring the accomplishment of someone
who comes up with something like e=mc2 but was the only one who did it.

Example:  I think AERC should award something and give recognition to each
and every horse that becomes a "perfect 10." (So far there are only two in
the entire history of our sport.)  On the other end of the spectrum, each
and every horse that finishes a 50-miler earns AERC points--but the mere
earning of AERC points does not merit recognition of every single horse
"competing" in that category.  I am not at all bothered if there are more
"award opportunities" available to people who ride 100s than those of us
who aren't currently doing so.  And so on, on down the line.  The riders
who are at the epitome of the sport deserve more recognition than those of
us who are not.

Heidi

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown