Re: [RC] Prizes - Truman

This is the whole problem with awards - it turns on the political process and political prowless of "special interest." The LD's want awards, then the 100's decide they want awards, then the old gray haired women decide they want awards, then the old bald headed men want into the act - where does it end - in absurdity.

If done fairly awards should reflect two factors that are easy to calculate:

a) The number of people competiting in the category of an award,
b) The budget to support an award.

Personally I am opposed to ALL awards that are based on promoting "cultural changes or cultural values."

Personally I would just as soon see the AERC elimiate all awards except regional points awards for endurance ( and mayber for ld with one point = one mile) and regional BC awards (here I'm also going to include LD at the risk of getting blasted back to the stone age).

Most likely if you dig far enough you will probably find many of other awards were based on some form of special interest lobbying or some other factor.

The AERC can't dictate what individual RM's, local clubs or regional organizations can do - but they sure can decide what they can do and I think the fewer awards the AERC gives the better. Use the money save on something that will benefit all riders - like trails development - or will benefit our horses - like more funding of research.

Truman

Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:
Actually, Maggie Mieske prompted me to think
of a better idea.  I suggest:

For every new LD award we create, we also create
one new award for 100 milers, irregardless of how
many people show up.

It's not like we don't have the money.

:) - Kathy