Re: [RC] Horses staying in shape and knees - Chris Paus

Oh dang. As a fellow member of the bad knee club, you
have my sympathy. I wish I had some words of wisdom. I
had the meniscus repair and it's been downhill ever
since... I'm holding off a TKR as long as I can.

chris
--- Catfish Daniels <CatfishDaniels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi everyone:

Just recently two topics were discussed, to which I
sorta didn't pay
much attention to.  Today I wish I had, and any
comments/suggestions
would greatly be appreciated - and I apologize for
the repeat.

This morning I mis-stepped why standing on the back
of my truck, and
landed with a fully extended knee below - hyper
extended it pretty
badly.  Anyway, can't walk or put weight on it, it's
pretty swollen.  It
feels like a prior meniscus injury I've had 18
months ago to which I
elected to physical therapy and exercises rather
than the recommended
surgery.  Long story short, same swelling, same
knee.  No sympathy,
please.my own stupidity.  My question are these:

1)       For all 100 milers:  If this injury is the
same as the last one
I had, I won't be back in the saddle for about 4-5
weeks, about
beginning of July (if I'm lucky).  I'm on the entry
list for this year's
Tevis Cup.  I know timing is very bad, but given
what I've got to work
with, how long can I "sorta" expect for my horse to
stay in shape
without being exercised?  My mind's playing tricks
on me, and I swear he
already gained 900 lbs when I missed this morning's
training ride.
Tevis is July 31st.

2)       As for the recent discussion about knee
problems, what is the
best experience any of you have had with different
knee braces for best
support while riding?

Just like last time, the doctor's orders (and I'll
see him on Tuesday)
will be either surgery and/or lay off for a good
while.  And obviously
that Tevis is "out".  Stupid on my part - yes - but
any suggestions on
how to successfully "attempt" to break the doctor's
orders would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any suggestions you may have.
I'm sorry to bother
you guys with this sorta stuff.

Catfish

DBL Realtors

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano