Re: [RC] Spike in Heart Rate/Backpackers - Amber Roberts

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I encountered a backpacker on a very narrow switchback trail on the side
of a mountain. My horse went into reverse, I kept screaming to the
backpacker to say something to let my horse know he was human, but the
backpacker was scared and froze

That seems to be the normal response of most folks if you just ask them to say something (or worse yet, are in a predicament like that and really forcefully ask them to say something)--I don't know if they think that they are being helpful by being quiet and still, or what. I've had far better luck by asking them a question ("Nice day, isn't it?") so that they will just conversationally answer me--although when all h*ll is breaking loose, sometimes it is difficult to remember to ask them if they are having a nice day instead of just hollering at them to "say something..."

Heidi

I remember being told some years ago about a group of people who encountered riders on the trail and they simply refused to speak when asked! Seems they had been "instructed" not to speak to riders for fear of spooking the horses. Nothing the riders said could get these people to speak.

Amber

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond