[RC] 100 mile hallucinations! - Laura Hayes

Speaking of hallucinations!!  I was doing the Big Horn in 1987 (I think!!) with Rushcreek Noel.  That year we did the deserty part last, and because I had some altitude problems (I live on the shore of Lake Erie!!) I had done the mountains and canyons really slow and then Noel started acting pretty down, so I was off walking through the dark, alone across the desert - very eerie and surreal!!  I knew my then boyfriend, Brian Weaver, had finished hours ago in second place and all I wanted to do was sleep!  I swear I heard him calling me, and I even tried to answer, but then no one would answer back.

HOURS later, I came to a road and into a street light and there was Brian asleep in the truck, waiting for me.  He said he HAD called out in the desert for me, but I had to have been too far away to hear him.  Very odd.  He took my saddle off as we thought it may have been bothering Noel, and I cantered the rest of the way bareback in on what felt like a fresh horse.  Took 22 hours, I think.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741