[RC] Improving the Walk - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sheila Larsen Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, bumping on the sides didn't work for my guy, it was a constant battle to
get him to walk out.  What worked for me was something recommended by Donna
Synder Smith.  She had me ride with a whip, I use a dressage whip because that
is what I always ride with.  I find it useful in keeping away barking dogs,
moving poison oak, and have moved a rattlesnake with it, but I digress.  I
would tap/smack him on the top of his butt, not on the side, which is why a
dressage whip worked.  I would tell him to walk up, and if he jogged, I would
"bump" him in the mouth and tell him to walk up.  You don't bump him hard in
the mouth, just enough to make them walk.  But a bump works better than
bringing them back to a walk than the aids you would do in a trot-walk
transition because it is something different. Make it clear a jog is not what
you want.  It took persistance and consistancy but it worked.

shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart