From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Laura Hayes
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 8:15 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] The stuff you need, or NOT

I rode most of the day today and thought about alot of things, one of
them was as follows:  I am, in general, a minimalist--I do admit to
having a really cool vet cart with lots of things in it, but to tell you
the truth, I am certain that all I need is some wear left on the
horseshoes and a saddle that fits--everything else is gravy.  If the
cart gets to the check, great, if not, I will be ok.  Heck, I have even
done a point to point multiday alone with no crew at all.  I never train
with a HRM and rarely wear a watch, I don't carry water or food or
bandaids or solar blankets. I don't have sunglasses, gloves or a fanny
pack--I have been know to stick my vet card in my bra.  The bottom line
is:  I just wanna ride.

WELLLLL, I am going to do the big XP ride this year (5 weeks, 1250
miles) and have been told over and over about all the things I will
need, so today I was adding it up.....

I have a Rino 130 GPS so I don't get lost.  I had to buy one for my crew
as well, so they don't get lost---total here  $297.

There is now a hydration pack hanging off me - the desert is wicked, I
hear:  $32

I have on a special sunscreen shirt that LLBean was kind enough to send
me so I don't die of heat stroke:  $46 + shipping

The easy boots that I HAVE to have, were bought barely used on ebay for
$60, but of course there is the foam...

I am trying to get used to wearing sunglasses with my helmet, but the
cheap ones aren't comfortable: $49

The leased LQ trailer (I don't have a fancy one, and I have to keep my
crew happy...) $1000

A BBQ grill that sports a cooler underneath:  $140

A new water tank plus the two 30 gallons that have always served me
well:  $68

The new corral panels (ok, these I would have bought anyway):  $500

Cases of bottled water, easy to prepare foods, paper plates and stuff
and aspirin:  at least $300

I am sure there is much more, but I think I am blocking that all out
right now.  This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime and I can
hardly wait, but REALLY, all I need is some wear left on the horseshoes
and a saddle that fits, honest.  Watch the classifieds around mid August
and I'll bet you can pick up some neat stuff cheap---

Laura Hayes AERC#2741

endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris