Re: [RC] Saddle conditioning with vegetable oils - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I just had another thought.  I have always used pure Neatsfoot oil, or
Neatsfoot compound when I was strapped for cash.  I had one saddle that I
had stitching problems.  It is a cheap made in Pakistan Australian style
saddle.  The leather is fine.  With no pollution laws, and abundant labor,
they can use old-fashioned tanning practices and make fine leather, at the
expense of polluted streams and sick and dying workers, but I digress.
Anyway this saddle was stitched with cotton.  After a couple of years in the
humid Midwest, well cared for but often ridden in the rain, the cotton
stitching started to rot apart.  Being cheap, I re-stitched it by hand in
the winter with Nylon thread.  It is still fine 15 years later.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown