Re: [RC] Saddle conditioning with vegetable oils - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...that cotton stitching subjected to repeated oiling with vegetable..."

Cotton is about the worst stuff to use to stitch a saddle.  Microbes, and
fungi love it.  Add some more food to the mix with an edible oil and cotton
will come apart.  Oil doesn't affect cotton, but it will help bugs digest
it.  I would be very upset if I found that I had cotton stitching on a
quality saddle.  Those of us who are over 60 can remember automobile tires
with cotton cord.  They rotted in a couple of years in wet climate, even if
the treed was good.

The old standby was linen (flax), which was much stronger and rot resistant.
Today nylon is the sturdy stitching material of choice.  Polyester would run
a close second.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all
night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and
get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride,
especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth.
~  Karen Chaton