Re: [RC] Tying a horse while camping - heidi

  How do I know he will be fine tied to a
trailer overnight?  <snip>  What do you
suggest for a newbie?  A couple nights at the trailer
to see how it goes?

Yep.  Like so many other things, if in doubt, practice it first at home.

In years past, I've also taken hay nets and water buckets along on
training rides where we've trailered out, when I've had time, and have
left the horses tied for an hour or two after a training ride before
heading home.  (Take a picnic and a good book.  :-) )

Another thing to do is to tie your horse to the trailer to eat whatever
"goodies" he gets.  He'll learn to associate being tied to the trailer
with dinnertime and good things to eat.  (Doesn't hurt to have that
association when you come into camp at the end of a loop and want him to
eat and drink during a hold, either!)

Heidi

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins