Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] re: any horse can do 25, etc. - Ibiteraaarr

Howard,
       Can my lousy newbie two cents save you from despair? I like ya. You crack me up on RC. Maybe your ride record isn't all that, but at the very least, you provide comic relief and the mistakes you've admitted to have helped me learn what NOT to do (please don't be offended by that, I mean it seriously that your mistakes have served as learning tools for me). I won't attack you, but you were out of line.

For what it's worth, I haven't really noticed anyone being condescending to LDers here on RideCamp or at the ride. And I don't think it needs to be added to the "real endurance" riding menu. Here's a bad analogy for you and since you're a veteran of our great military, I'm hoping for you to relate to it, at least minimally. My hubby was in the Navy SEALs. Special Warfare is the best of the best. Those guys are put through absolute hell in the way of mental and physical torture to be pushed beyond their breaking points in preparation. IF they graduate BUD/S (and I say IF because over half the class washes out), they EARN the right to be SEALs. Just because one graduates Navy bootcamp doesn't mean he is a SEAL, nor does it mean he is even QUALIFIED to attempt SEAL training. My point is, preparation is not necessary for boot camp, but it is mandatory to even be considered for SEAL training. People who make the extra effort to train and condition for higher mileage deserve their titles. I can't speak for others, but with a new baby, I don't have the time or finances to put into training for a 100 miler, which is what I aspire to accomplish. In the meantime, I'm not blaming anyone else because of this, or demanding attention I don't deserve. Maybe you don't hold Cindy's record, but you still have a better record then me, so I humbly yield to your experience, as questionable as may or may not be. I'm curious where in your experience you're getting the impression LDers are looked down upon. I've been on RideCamp for a year now and I just haven't noticed it.

Do you remember a while back when a gentleman posted on here that he was unable to ride longer distances then 25 because he was shot in Vietnam and is physically unable to ride beyond LD because of his injuries? His post has always stuck in my mind because he  was proud enough to get out there and ride and enjoy what he was doing. And he does it WITHOUT bitching, whining or complaining that he should get special treatment or attention. Solely for the fact that he served his country, I hold him in the highest regards. Because he accepts his limitations without demanding notoriety, I find this testimony of his character to be even more admirable.

LDers aren't "bastard children" of the AERC to me. Why do you want to make them that way? And PLEASE...PLEASE don't jump on this "kinder, gentler, warm fuzzies" band wagon the entire country has been on to soften up potentially hard blows to people's egos. Way too many people in our nation have perfected the art of becoming victims of one thing or another. PLEASE don't drag that into this sport. Horse-back riding is my escape from the doldrums of the real world. No one here is a victim and no one is being chastised for whatever distance they choose to participate in. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" and most people here seem feisty enough that they'd rather go down in flames then in tears.

Most humbly,
Liz Dorner
Ct Region