Re: [RC] LDs, 100s, 50s, comps, whatever - Barbara McCrary

Beautifully said.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 4:48 AM
Subject: [RC] LDs, 100s, 50s, comps, whatever

Whatever mileage, the glory is in finishing with a sound horse.  Sometimes first, sometimes last, whatever the horse dictates for that day.  Sometimes whatever my body dictates for that day.  It doesn't matter what mileage I do, what it is called either, the simple fact is that I am still out there riding on a trail somewhere.  Sometimes whooping it up, sometimes I hurt so bad I just want to finish.  But I am THERE.  I prefer LD or endurance, simply because I can pick the speed and whether I am on the horse or off.  But I end up doing competitive.  Why?  I have no crew, and since no one else is allowed a crew in competitive, then we are all equal.  But since I love what endurance offers, my competitive becomes enduro comp!  One may not like the average speed of competitive, but one may choose how one wants to run it.  I usually do the first half at an endurance pace, spend more time at the VC then I need to, then finish the ride at the speed I want to.  Usually there is enough time for me to walk those last 2 miles in so the horse gets those low readings.  The ride is what I make of it, the game of endurance or competitive is how I play it, the joy is that I am there enjoying the trail, friends, and riding my horse.  Sometimes the extra joy is the junior I am privileged to sponsor.  Jeanie