Re: [RC] help with archives - Chris Paus

Hi Judith...

I just got some ANCIENT leather tack from my dad. It
had been hanging in his barn for about 30 or 40
years.. leather halters, reins and headstalls. I
thought there was no hope for them, but here's what I
did...

yes, usually on old stuff like this, I make up a big
bucket of Murphy's oil soap to clean them.. but I
didn't have any Murphy's when the spirit moved me to
take on this project.

So I used dish soap. I figured these things were so
old and dirt crusted that I had to get past the dirt
to the leather before I could see if there was
anything worth salvaging.

I soaked them and rinsed them well. The water was
black from the dirt.

Then I hung them up to dry. Yes, they got a little
stiff, but at least they were clean.

When they were dry, I made up a bucket full of oil,
using neatsfoot oil and vegetable oil in a big ice
cream pail. I dunked the items one at a time in the
bucket of oil and let them soak for about an hour or
so and hung them up  again to dry.

I'm totally amazed! The lifeless leather old leather
is pliable again! I'm using the foal halter on one of
my babies. It's just right for him. I now have two
nice horse sized leather halters and three pairs of
reins.

I think before I use the reins and other halters, I'll
clean them again with Feibings leather soap to get the
surface oil off and kind of polish them up.

Chris
--- "Simms, Judith" <JSIMMS@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Somebody please help a computer illiterate.  I want
to look up the way to bring a stiff saddle back to
life.  This was discussed a while ago so I know it
is in there but all I find are dates and I don't
know when it was.  Is there a way to search by
subject??  All I can remember is that Murphy's oil
soap was mentioned.
Thanks, Judy
PS You can contact me privately so as not to clog
the list....or maybe it would be nice to see
something NOT related to the current subject. (Grin)

===========================================================One
would think that logic would prevail. But then, if
logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes