RE: [RC] re: any horse can do 25, etc. - Catfish Daniels

Hi Cindy:
I WOULD have agreed with you up until this past weekend when I took a
superbly conditioned young gelding, new to the sport to the Malibu Ride
here in the PS region.  He came fresh off the race track after two years
of racing, and I had spent a good amount of time putting him into my own
endurance training program consisting of 8, 13, and 24 mile training
loops which he does with great ease, and acting and moving like a
perfect seasoned gentleman.  This horse looks and is in phenomenal
shape.

This past weekend was the Malibu Ride - his first endurance experience.
Having a conditioned horse is one thing, getting him used to the sport
and keeping him calm is another.  Approximately 3-4 miles into the ride,
even though we were towards the very back of the pack, he was so hyper
that he was foamed all over and literally dripping like a wet rag.  A
complete wash-out.  His heart was racing a million miles per hour.  At
the first vet-check I was forced to do a Rider-Option pull after only 14
miles because after an hour his heart rate was still jumping around
between 60 and 80 bpm.  The vets all checked him out and although he
seemed a bit dehydrated due to all the sweat he had lost, he ate very
well and had strong gut sounds.  Metabolically he was doing very well
actually.  He was young and acting stupid - the exact words from the
vets - prancing around whinnying and wanting to do anything but calm
down.

So, I agree with you that most horses that are ridden a reasonable
amount would indeed be "fit enough" to complete a 25 miler, but I have
learned that there are many more factors involved in getting a horse
thru a ride and getting him to meet criteria at the vet check.

Catfish

DBL Realtors