Fw: [RC] Walk? - Dot Wiggins

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally, others need to learn.

On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse, an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's the rebound effect of the two beat trot)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:31 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler?

Another thing that any aspiring 100-mile rider should do is work on the

horse's WALK.  It is by far THE most neglected gait on most endurance

horses, and I can tell you from personal experience sitting around waiting

for riders to come into checks and to come into the finish in the dark

that most horses travel at 2-3 mph at a walk in the dark.  There is no

need for this--work on the walk on training rides, and on any horse worth

his salt and capable of doing the distance, you ought to be able to foster

a reliable walk of AT LEAST 4 mph.

[Kathy Ramspott]

Do others agree with this?  My girl walks SO slow it is pretty sad.  It does make sense what Heidi says, should that be incorporated into training rides, I guess a kind of 'working walk'?